I never dreamed these lectures would be so popular!
My many years of teaching forensic science led me to choose the topics in that field that I find most interesting. I created a series of programs with PowerPoint which I present to interested groups. I have presented at libraries, to the seniors enrolled in the continuing education programs at local universities, clubs, and assisted living residents. They are interesting, provocative and get those brain cells sparking, curiosity piquing, and imaginative juices flowing. I’ve included a list of the ones I do. If you think of other topics let me know. My contact information appears below.
Title: FAMOUS FORENSIC SCIENCE CASES
Subtitle: In the News and in Literature
Presenter: Linda Maria Frank, Author of the Annie Tillery Mystery Series and Teacher of Forensic Science (ret.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 516 798 0341
Follow the Clues that Inspire the Crime Solvers and Snare the Criminals
- includes an explanation of how we are related and how we are different by our DNA, and illustrates how this technology has become one of the best tools of criminologists.
- DNA AND FAMOUS MURDER CASES outlines how DNA analysis was used and misused in the O.J. Simpson trial, the Laci and Connor Petersen murders, the Sam Sheppard trial, and the Boston Strangler.
- THE LINDBERGH KIDNAPPING traces the evidence used to convict Bruno Hauptman of the kidnapping and murder of Charles Lindberg, Jr. This was the first case dubbed the “Crime of the Century” by the print and radio media.
- SOLVING ANCIENT MYSTERIES This lecture illustrates how modern forensic techniques are used to solve mysteries of the past, such as Otzi, the Ice Man, the Bog People of Denmark, the Peruvian mummies and even the vampire folklore of Eastern Europe.
- PLANTS, POISONS AND PLOTS not only includes illustrations of the various plant poisons and their uses or misuses, but illustrates how famous mystery writers have employed them in their books.
- ART, NOT ART – This program explains how art pieces are scientifically authenticated, using examples from the art world, and delving into the world of art fraud. Famous cases of art theft, such as the Nazi atrocities regarding art works during WWII are described.
- THOSE CSI SHOWS, FACT OR FICTION investigated the protocols, procedures and laboratory world or crime investigation in the real world and on TV.
Linda Maria Frank, retired from a career teaching science, including forensic science, resides on Long Island and is currently writing the Annie Tillery Mysteries, The Madonna Ghost, Girl with Pencil, Drawing and Secrets in the Fairy Chimneys. She also produces The Writer’s Dream, her local access TV show, seen on YouTube. Frank is active in LI Authors Group, LI Sisters in Crime, LI Children’s Writers and Illustrators, and Mystery Writers of America.
Get some inside info on my Lindbergh Lecture at https://annietillerymystery.wordpress.com/2017/11/03/murder-on-the-orient-express-a-reflection-of-the-lindbergh-kidnapping/